The biggest Global Game Jam site in the United States returns!
Join Playcrafting and Microsoft for a weekend of game-making plus free talks and workshops, refreshments and prizes! Stay tuned to this page as we confirm speakers, workshops and prizes in the coming weeks. Our 2018 site was the biggest in the United States and the 2nd largest in the world with over 500 jammers and 1200 attendees. Be a part of the magic in 2019, live all weekend from Times Square!
What started in 2016 grew to an epic scale by 2018 with our massive site in partnership with Microsoft. The result? Over 1,200 attendees and 500 official jammers – student and professional, young and old, newbie and veteran – joined us for a full weekend making over 80 games with free onsite workshops, refreshments and an epic expo and demo showcase with judges and prizes that had folks cheering all Sunday long. We’re so excited to grow and evolve this one-of-a-kind weekend for our community in 2019.
Watch our 2018 recap!
Each participant will need to register both on the GGJ site and Eventbrite. All projects must be submitted to the website in order to be considered for prizes. Entry to this event is free, but you are required to RSVP online in order to gain access to the event.
You do not need to be onsite the entire weekend to participate or to be entered for prizes. You’re welcome to come and go as you please.
The site itself will be open 6pm to 8pm on Friday, 9am to 9pm on Saturday and 9am to 8pm on Sunday. Games can be worked on outside of the site, but we’ll be closing down at the specified time each night.
This is an inclusive site – people of all ages and backgrounds are welcome to join. Children should be accompanied by a parent or guardian. You do not need to be an active game developer to participate. Many game developers will be in attendance, though, too!
All games will have the same theme, which will be announced at our kickoff on Friday night. If you have more questions about how the Global Game Jam works, visit globalgamejam.org. We will provide free meals and workshops throughout the weekend and will also have designated quiet zones for teams needing the space to concentrate.
In the interest of fostering an inclusive and safe environment at all of our events, our Code of Conduct will be enforced.
Tweet along with us throughout the event!
@Playcrafting / @MSFTReactor
Day 1 – Friday, January 25th
Day 2 – Saturday, January 26th
Day 3 – Sunday, January 27th
We Will Provide
– Free Workshops
– Light refreshment
What to Bring
– All of your own equipment (laptops, cords, controllers, adapters, software, etc). Anything you need to make a game over the weekend will need to be brought by you. We will not be providing.
– A laptop with the relevant software downloaded and installed for any workshops you’re attending.
– A government-issued photo ID.
What NOT to Bring
– Large fabric items (stuffed animals, couches, etc.)
– External speakers.
– Fake (or real) weaponry of any kind.
– Confetti/glitter/etc that makes a mess.
– Anything that can’t be carried in a regular elevator.
– Anything that can’t be easily transported through narrow corridors. There are some tight spots in the building.
– Smoke machines, strobe lights, disco balls.
– Anything dangerous or threatening (everyone has to go through Microsoft security).
– Anything that would be inappropriate for kids to interact with.
Jam Site Hosts
Each member of the winning team will receive the following:
Want to partner with us for the biggest GGJ site in the United States? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Games From Our Site In the News
Visit our past Global Game Jam Sites to check out hundreds of games made by our community: